OVERVIEW OF THE COLLECTION
VMFA has built a collection of some 1,200 photographs during the past 75 years. The collection began in the museum’s opening year, 1936, with a gift from the Carnegie Corporation of 163 photographs by Frances Benjamin Johnston, showing significant Virginia architecture. Between 1936 and 1956, the Camera Club of Richmond made consistent donations of photographs by its members. In 1973, VMFA began to strategically build the collection, with an eye toward key moments in the history of the medium, from an 1844 calotype by Henry William Fox Talbot to the work of Lee Friedlander and Diane Arbus. Generous donations by private collectors helped form deep holdings of several key 20thcentury photographers, including Gertrude Käsebier, Clarence John Laughlin, Walker Evans, Aaron Siskind, and Gary Winogrand. Currently VMFA seeks to further diversify its holdings of 19th and 20th century photographs while simultaneously bringing it up to the present with acquisitions from photographers around the world, as well as from Virginia.
Dr. Sarah L. Eckhardt
Assistant Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art