The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is seeking talented teens interested in showcasing their skills! On May 24, 2013, VMFA will host Teen Talent: Faces, Objects, and Places. A night when talented teens demonstrate works of spoken word, monologue, song, dance, and film, this event is based on the theme Faces, Objects, and Places and inspired by the upcoming special exhibition Pop Art and Beyond: Tom Wesselmann, a retrospective of an influential, American Pop artist. The exhibition is divided into three distinct genres that Wesselmann created within: the human form (faces), still-lifes (objects), and landscapes (places). Students are invited to respond to these three artistic genres or reflect on the Pop art movement in general. This artistic movement is distinguished by its incorporation of popular culture, in the form of advertising and media, into works of art. Student performances could respond to the concepts of mass-produced imagery, popular culture and/or the media.
Awards will be distributed and are based on audience choice. Awards include, but are not limited to, Apple products, flip cameras, and gift certificates to the VMFA Shop. The evening will also include gallery tours "for teens, by teens" and refreshments for all! Performances will take place in the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts' Leslie Cheek Theater.
Auditions are required and open to all students in grades 6 – 12. All audition requests must be submitted by Apr 12, 5 pm. Performance groups and individual performers are eligible. Contestants will be emailed of acceptance in the talent show by May 3, 2013.
Chosen participants are required to attend a dress rehearsal on May 22, 5:30 – 8 pm, when they will receive coaching in public speaking, delivery, voice projection, as well as spatial and audience engagement. Students must attend the dress rehearsal in order to participate in the Teen Talent performance.
All events will take place in the Leslie Cheek Theater, Level L.
Deadline to request an audition: Fri, April 12, 2013 by 5 pm
Auditions (participants must audition at one of the following times):
Sat, Apr 20, 10 am – noon
Thu, Apr 25, 5:30 – 7:30 pm
Sun, Apr 28, 2 – 4 pmNotification of acceptance: Fri, May 3, 2013
Wed, May 22, 5:30 – 8 pm
Teen Talent Event
Fri, May 24, 6:30 – 9 pm (participants must arrive at 6 pm)
NOTE: All performers are required to be present from beginning to end of the Teen Talent event.
1. Performances should relate to the theme, Faces, Objects, and Places, based on the VMFA special exhibition Pop Art and Beyond: Tom Wesselmann. Though inspired by this specific exhibition, participants may use the theme loosely or use an existing performance that incorporates those nouns.
2. Performers or performance groups should include only students in grades 6 –12.
3. Performance groups should include no more than 10 individuals.
4. Performances should run no less than two minutes and no longer than seven minutes. If your act is longer than seven minutes, please contact Jessica Bauserman.
5. Performance categories include Drama, Spoken Word and Monologue; Instrumental, Vocal and Dance, and Film and Animation.
6. Performers or performance groups should email their chosen audition date to Jessica Bauserman and include the following information:
a. Performance title
b. Performance description
c. Performance category
d. Length of performance
e. Number of performers
f. Performer(s) name(s)
g. Performer contact information (phone and email)
h. Parent or guardian contact information:(phone and email)
i. Audio/visual needs, i.e., microphone, sound for musical recording, screen for film
7. Auditions are open and should be considered a full dress rehearsal. All performers are asked to audition as they would in the Teen Talent event; this includes full costume, makeup, etc.
8. Performances may not contain any profanity, vulgarity, excessive violence, or material deemed offensive by the coordinator of VMFA Teen Programs.
9. Once a student performance has been approved, a change of performance is not permitted.
10. All performers must have signed photo/video release forms before they will be permitted to participate in the Teen Talent event. Release forms will be provided during the Dress Rehearsal.
11. Participants must attend the scheduled Dress Rehearsal on May 22, 2013.
12. Participants must remain at VMFA for the entirety of the Teen Talent event on May 24, 2013 in order to be considered for an award.
13. Participants incorporating music into their performance (not played instrumentally) must provide VMFA with a sound file either by email, memory stick, or an MP3 player at the audition.
14. Virginia Museum of Fine Arts will supply all standard AV equipment for sound and projection.
1. Award categories include Best in Show, Best Interpretation of the Theme, Most Creative Interpretation of the Theme, Best Stage Presence, Most Talented in Grade, Best Choreography
2. Awards will be given to individuals or groups and are based on audience choice.
3. Award criteria include, but are not limited to, relevance to theme, technical skill, and originality.
4. Prizes include, but are not limited to, Apple products, flip cameras, and gift certificates to the VMFA gift shop
For more information, please contact Jessica Bauserman at 804.340.1573.